Heart Healthy Dinner Recipe
The following "heart healthy" recipes are all approved by Summa Health System's JustThis program.
Learn more about the JustThis program.
Pan Roasted Salmon
- 4 oz fresh salmon fillet
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp olive oil
- Lemon wedge
1. In a sauté pan over high heat add olive oil and season salmon with salt and pepper.
2. Place salmon flesh side down in sauté pan and sear for 3 minutes.
3. Turn fish and place in 350 degree oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Garnish with lemon and serve with salad or favorite vegetable side dish.
Calories 171; Total Fat 6.7g; Saturated Fat 1.4g; Trans Fat 0g; Protein 24.6g; Sugar 0.5g; Fiber 0.1g; Sodium 272mg
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 teas thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 (14oz) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 ( 15) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz fresh kale or spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and thyme. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and bay leaf.
4. Mash 1/2 a can of bean. Add the mashed beans and unmashed beans to the pot. Add the kale.
5. Simmer for 10 min.
6. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with grated cheese.
Calories 224; Total Fat 9.7g; Saturated Fat 1.3g; Trans Fat 0g; Protein 11g; Sugar 3g; Fiber 5.5g; Sodium 503mg
Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems & gills removed
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 teas grainy mustard
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 c walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 c dried cherries, raisins, or cranberries
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 c chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese
1. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard. Marinate the mushrooms caps side down in the oil mixture for 30 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place mushrooms in a baking sheet cap side down and spread any leftover marinade on the mushroom. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 teas of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and carrot and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cooked quinoa, tomatoes, walnuts, dried fruit, green onions, and salt and pepper to taste; heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
5. Stuff each mushroom cap with quinoa mixture and bake for 10 minutes. Drizzle each with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Calories 269; Total Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 1g; Trans Fat 0g; Protein 8g; Sugar 5.9g; Fiber 5g; Sodium 41mg
- 6 cups fresh kale
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 green chili pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup water
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the kale for 1 to 2 minutes. Shock in an ice water bath. Set aside
2. In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and add the onion, tomatoes, and chili pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, flour and water to make a slurry. While stirring the tomato onion mixture, slowly pour in the slurry. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until thickened.
4. Add the kale and simmer for 15 minutes.
Calories 118; Total Fat 7.3g; Saturated Fat 0.9g; Trans Fat 0g; Protein 3g; Sugar 2.5g; Fiber 2.1g; Sodium 35.1mg
Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Serving Size: 2 berries
- 12 Strawberries
- 3 oz dark chocolate (58%)
1. Make a double boiler for melting the chocolate. Bring water to boil in one pot and set on top of the boiling water a dry bowl. In the dry bowl place the chocolate so it can melt.
2. When chocolate is melted talk it off of the stove top and dip each strawberry. Place on wax paper until set.
Calories 80; Total Fat 4.5g; Saturated Fat 2.6g; Trans Fat 0g; Protein 0.9g; Sugar 6.5g; Fiber 1.3g; Sodium 1.06mg