Take Charge of Your Health!
We all want to stay healthy. One of the best ways to accomplish this goal is to be proactive. A personal health assessment allows a patient to adopt such an attitude. It is a survey to help patients identify their personal risk factors, while guiding them toward healthier lifestyle choices. Here are some reasons why a personal health assessment can be important to patients, according to Julius Feitl, M.D., Summa Physicians Inc. – Internal Medicine.
Playing a role in your own health a personal health assessment allows patients to become more involved in their own care.
“Using a personal health assessment helps individualize care,” Dr. Feitl says. “It’s a good way to practice preventive strategies.”
What a personal health assessment might include
The assessment is a survey-styled questionnaire that can be done quickly. The assessment might include questions regarding:
- Nutrition. Food choices and dietary habits
- Tobacco Use. Current or past use of cigarettes or other tobacco products
- Vehicle Safety. Seatbelt usage and driving practices
- Physical Activity. How often do you exercise and types of fitness activities
- Alcohol Use. How much do you consume and how often
- Stress and Depression. Your personal and emotional well-being
- Current Health. Any health conditions
- Health History. Both your personal and family history
- Biometrics. Height, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol and other vital statistics
The cost of healthcare
Controlling costs is an issue to everyone. By taking a personal health assessment, patients can avoid unnecessary trips to the emergency department or hospital admission, thus keeping their share of costs down.
The challenge for patients
A personal health assessment will help patients recognize any lifestyle changes they need to make to successfully manage chronic conditions. The challenge is to actually make those changes.
“Managing a medical problem requires more than just a prescription,” Dr. Feitl says. “It requires changing your lifestyle, which is tough to do but very important.”
Another challenge: Be honest with yourself when undergoing the assessment. “By being honest, patients reinforce the idea of becoming more proactive in their own healthcare,” Dr. Feitl says. “An assessment can be a very powerful tool.”
Dr. Julius Feitl sees patients at 75 Arch St., Suite 302, on the campus of Summa Akron City Hospital. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Feitl call 888-892-9510, or complete our online form.