Hospice | Palliative Care
Summa’s Palliative Care and Hospice Services provides care in Northeast Ohio. Our interdisciplinary team of dedicated medical professionals includes board-certified medical directors with over 80 years’ experience combined and volunteers who work together with patients and their families to create comprehensive, individualized care plans. We focus on treating the patient and the family—not the disease. Our services—designed to deliver complete care for the whole person, encompassing body, mind, and spirit—help to prevent and ease suffering, while enhancing comfort and quality of life. The disciplines that make up our team include physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, aides, social workers, spiritual care coordinators, massage therapists, and volunteers.
Summa Health System has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for its palliative care program. The Advanced Certification for Palliative Care standards focus on patient and family-centered care in order to optimize the quality of life for patients with serious illness. In achieving Joint Commission advanced certification, Summa has demonstrated its commitment to the highest level of care for patients with serious illness.
Palliative care is useful at any stage of an illness and can be provided simultaneously with other treatments. Hospice care is ideal for patients who have a terminal diagnosis and would benefit from receiving care in the comfort of their own home or in a residential care facility or hospital.
Our medical directors in the Palliative Care and Hospice program are directly involved with staff on a daily basis to:
- Provide 24/7 backup and consultation for patient problems;
- Visit patients in their homes and nursing homes;
- Provide daily oversight for pain and symptom management admissions; and
- Assist with complex pain and symptom issues.
We also offer the following Palliative Care and Hospice Services to our patients:
- Hospice of Summa
- Palliative Care Consult Services
- Weekly Palliative Care Clinics at the Summa Center for Senior Health
- Acute Palliative Care inpatient units at Summa Akron City Hospital and Summa Barberton Hospital
- Use of community pharmacies
- Pharmacist-provided medication management consultation and oversight
- Massage therapy for symptom management
- Clinical psychology, complimentary and alternative medicine therapies