Summa Health System offers an extensive array of more than 50 senior electives for visiting, as well as NEOMED, medical students. These electives introduce students to the practice of medicine in an academic community hospital. Working directly under the supervision of the elective directors and faculty, medical students strengthen their skills in various areas, including physical diagnosis and problem-solving. Also, students enjoy the benefit of hands-on experience with a diverse patient population offering extensive pathology. Medical students from LCME or AOA accredited medical schools may apply for clinical electives.
Summa Akron City & St. Thomas Hospitals use VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact Medical Education (330) 375-3107, (800) 322-0517 or via email email@example.com. For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 478-9878.
Summa Health System offers to medical students:
- the opportunity to experience a community hospital
- strong academics with a medical school affiliation
- responsibilities and procedures commensurate with level of training
- night call as determined by the elective director
- educational conferences and activities
- free tuition
- complimentary meals
- free parking
- access to the hospitals at all hours
- access to the libraries at all hours
- access to the resident on-call quarters and recreational lounge
Summa Health System consistently receives high ratings from medical students for the desirability and quality of elective and clerkship rotations. For more information click on the links below: