AKRON, Ohio, Aug. 26, 2011– Summa Health System’s first blog, Summa Flourish, has reached a new milestone – its first birthday. One year ago, Vivian von Gruenigen, M.D., department chair of obstetrics and gynecology and system medical director for women’s health at Summa Health System, posted her first blog to www.summaflourish.org
Dr. Viv, as she signs off as on the blog, said in her first post
, “As women, we go through countless experiences throughout our lives – from raising children to trying to stay in shape to fighting cancer and dealing with the loss of loved ones. We created this blog to not only provide you with valuable health and wellness information from us as experts but to create a forum for you to share your stories and for all of us to learn from each others’ experiences.”
Seventy-seven blog posts later – authored by Dr. Viv and contributing bloggers – Summa Flourish has covered a range of topics of importance to women including pregnancy, sexual health, menopause, cancer prevention and screenings, and parenting. “From the start, our goal was to engage women in health education and conversation,” said Dr. Viv in her most recent post
. “So, happy birthday, blog! It’s been an adventure. Thank you, readers, for staying with us, commenting on our posts with your stories and questions and allowing us to share important health information with you.”
In celebration of its first birthday, Summa Flourish compiled its Top Ten Most Popular Blogs:
- Married Virgins, by Dr. Lara: I know it sounds strange, but it’s more common than you might think!
- Anorexia Nervosa: A Mother and Daughter’s Journey, by Suzanne and Colleen Hughes (guest post): Almost 10 years ago now, our then-17 year old daughter was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa.
- Hot Flashes!, by Dr. Lara: Menopause, also called “the change of life” or “the climacteric” will affect all of us women at some point! Yes, every single one of us
- If There Was Something You Could Do To Reduce Your Risk of Cancer, Would You Do It?, by Dr. Joel Porter (video guest blog): Since March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, we are shouting from the rooftops to everyone older than 50 to get a colonoscopy!
- 8 Sex Questions You’re Too Embarrassed to Ask: A colleague of ours - Kimberly Resnick Anderson, the director of the Summa Center for Sexual Health - was recently interviewed by Woman’s Day magazine for an article about the sex questions you’re too embarrassed to ask.
- The Wall Street Journal Highlights Summa’s Labor and Delivery Safety: At Summa Health System, we are proud to be a national leader in labor and delivery safety, with the well-being of both the mother and infant central to everything we do.
- Puberty Can Even Stump This OB/GYN, by Dr. Viv: Navigating your daughter through the challenges of menstruation can be tricky, even for an OB/GYN like me.
- Baby’s First Text Message, by Dr. Viv: If there’s a pregnant lady in your life, get ready to email her this one.
- Pass It On, by Dr. Viv: It is anticipated when you work in an organization as large as the Summa Health System that growth and development are inevitable.
- Being a Working Mom, by Dr. Viv: It is human nature to work. Some say you can’t be a good mother and a good worker.
About Summa Health System
Summa Health System is one of the largest integrated healthcare delivery systems in Ohio. Encompassing a network of hospitals, community health centers, a health plan, a physician-hospital organization, a multi-specialty physician organization, research and multiple foundations, Summa is nationally renowned for excellence in patient care and for exceptional approaches to healthcare delivery. Summa's clinical services are consistently recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (Magnet®
status), U.S. News and World Report
, Thomson Reuters and The Leapfrog Group. Summa also is a founding partner of the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron. For more information, visit www.summahealth.org
or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/summahealth
and Twitter at www.twitter.com/summahealth