Contact: Kristen Thompson, Phone: (330) 375-3052, Email: email@example.com
AKRON, Ohio, Feb. 15, 2011– Impaired driving is one of America’s most frequent and deadly crimes. If you’re at a party or a social gathering, plan ahead and think before you drink.
According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety, in January 2011 there were 16 alcohol-related crashes with 10 injuries in Summit County. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, one in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime. Summa Health System and Safe Communities recommend designating a sober driver or calling a cab service before getting in your vehicle buzzed.
“If your weekend plans involve going out and consuming alcohol, designate a sober driver or book a cab to get you and your friends around town and home safely,” said Jennifer Davis RN, BSN, MPH, CEN, EMT-P, trauma program manager for Summa Akron City Hospital. “We all need to do our part to ensure the safety of our communityto combat injury and death associated with drunk driving.”
Getting caught driving while impaired will earn you a costly penalty from law enforcement, and may even result in losing your driving privileges. To help keep the roads safe, Davis recommends these tips to plan ahead before a night out:
- Designate your sober driver before the party begins and leave your car keys at home if you plan to drink.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself – eat enough food, take breaks and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you. Or just stay where you are and sleep it off until you are sober.
- Take appropriate steps to prevent anyone from driving while impaired. Remember, friends don’t let friends drive drunk.
- Always buckle up – it’s still your best defense against other impaired drivers.
About Summa Health System
Summa Health System is one of the largest integrated delivery systems in Ohio. Encompassing a network of hospitals, community health centers, a health plan, a physician-hospital organization, a multi-specialty physician organization, research and multiple foundations, Summa is nationally renowned for excellence in patient care and for exceptional approaches to healthcare delivery. Summa's clinical services are consistently recognized by U.S. News and World Report, Thomson Reuters and The Leapfrog Group. Summa also is a founding partner of the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron. For more information, visit www.summahealth.org.