Summa Health System and Akron General Health System for the seventh consecutive year are proud to sponsor the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and the Obesity Action Coalition’s (OAC) Annual “Walk from Obesity.” In cities across America, obesity sufferers and survivors, along with family, friends, healthcare professionals and many others, will join forces and walk to raise money for research, education, prevention and treatment of the life-threatening disease of obesity. Summa’s 94 walkers raised more than $5,000 in 2012.
Obesity is a serious health epidemic that affects one in three Americans. The Annual Walk from Obesity will support the ASMBS and OAC in their efforts to increase research funding for obesity, improve awareness of the negative stigma associated with obesity, and provide educational resources and treatment options for all those affected by this disease.
The ASMBS and OAC provided the following statistics on obesity:
- More than 93 million Americans are obese, with that number predicted to increase to 120 million in the next five years.
- Obesity costs our health care system more than $270 billion each year.
- Obesity is a leading cause of preventable death.
- Obesity increases the likelihood of diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Obesity is a disease treated through a combination of methods that may include diet, exercise and/or medication.
- For the morbidly obese, those 100 pounds or more overweight, weight-loss surgery may be the only effective option. People need to consult with a health professional to help determine which methods are appropriate for them.
Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013
9:30 a.m. registration
10 a.m. walk
Firestone Metro Park, Tuscarawas Shelter
2620 Harrington Rd., Akron
Visit www.walkfromobesity.com to pre-register for $25. Walkers also can register on the day of the event for $35. All registrants will receive an official “Walk from Obesity” t-shirt. Children under the age of 12 are free with a paid parent or guardian.
For more information about registration, contact Debbie Pasini, RN, at email@example.com or (330) 375-6590.
Summa Health System
Director of Public Relations/Communications
Akron General Health System