Summa Akron City and St. Thomas Hospitals ranked as the number one hospital in the Akron, Ohio metropolitan area. Gynecology was one of the eight high-performing specialties. In addition, our obstetrical outcomes ranked better than the state average for the core perinatal measures.
The core measures are determined by the Ohio Department of Health and The Joint Commission. Strategies have included quality bundle monitoring with a “hard-stop” of inappropriate obstetrical elective delivery and excellence with the avoidance and management of uterine contractions. Physician engagement has improved with increased participation at monthly department meetings. Additionally, physician satisfaction scores have improved 25 percentile points since last year.
Research in the department of obstetrics and gynecology is funded by the government, foundations and philanthropists. This year the focus of our Profiles in Women’s Health includes quality outcomes, minimally invasive surgery, disparities, social media endeavors and our growing research program.
Download Profiles in Women's Health
- Sandadi S, Frasure HE, Broderick MJ, Waggoner SE, Miller JA, von Gruenigen VE. The effect of sleep disturbance on quality of life in women with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2011 Nov;123(2):351-5. PMID: 21855973.
- von Gruenigen VE, Frasure HE, Kavanagh MB, Lerner E, Waggoner SE, Courneya KS. Feasibility of a lifestyle intervention for ovarian cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. Gynecol Oncol. 2011 Aug;122(2):328-33. Epub 2011 May 19. PMID: 21600635.
- von Gruenigen VE, Deveny TC. Health care reform: will quality remodeling affect obstetrician-gynecologists in addition to patients? Obstet Gynecol. 2011 May;117(5):1167-9. PMID: 21508757.
- Ibeanu O, Modesitt SC, Ducie J, von Gruenigen V, Agueh M, Fader AN. Hormone replacement therapy in gynecologic cancer survivors: why not? Gynecol Oncol. 2011 Aug;122(2):447-54. Epub 2011 Apr 6. Review. PMID: 21474167.
- von Gruenigen VE, Waggoner SE, Frasure HE, Kavanagh MB, Janata JW, Rose PG, Courneya KS, Lerner E. Lifestyle challenges in endometrial cancer survivorship. Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jan;117(1):93-100. PMID: 21173649.
- Trimble EL, Birrer MJ, Hoskins WJ, Marth C, Petryshyn R, Quinn M, Thomas GM, Kitchener HC; Gynecologic Cancer Intergroup/National Cancer Institute Writing Committee, Aghajanian C, Alberts DS, Armstrong D, Brown J, Coleman RL, Colombo N, Eisenhauer E, Friedlander M, Fujiwara K, Hunsberger S, Kaye S, Ledermann JA, Lee S, Look K, Mannel R, McNeish IA, Minasian L, Oza A, Paul J, Poveda A, Pujade-Lauraine E, Schoenfeldt M, Swart AM, von Gruenigen V, Wenzel L. Current academic clinical trials in ovarian cancer: Gynecologic Cancer Intergroup and US National Cancer Institute Clinical Trials Planning Meeting, May 2009. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010 Oct;20(7):1290-8. Review. PMID: 21151709.
- Gil KM, von Gruenigen VE. Physical activity and gynecologic cancer survivorship. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2011;186:305-15. Review. PMID: 21113770.
- Fanning J, Shah M, Fenton B. Reduced-force closed trocar entry technique: analysis of trocar insertion force using a mechanical force gauge. JSLS. 2011 Jan-Mar;15(1):59-61. PMID: 21902944.
- Fenton BW, Palmieri P, Diantonio G, Vongruenigen V Application of Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System to chronic pelvic pain. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011 Mar-Apr;18(2):189-93. Epub 2011 Feb 3. PMID: 21295528.
- Fanning J, Fenton B, Johnson C, Johnson J, Rehman S. Comparison of teenaged video gamers vs PGY-I residents in obstetrics and gynecology on a laparoscopic simulator. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011 Mar-Apr;18(2):169-72. Epub 2011 Jan 7. PMID: 21215709.
- Pohle-Krauza RJ, McCarroll ML, Pasini DD, Dan AG, Zografakis JG. Age and gender exert differential effects on blood lipids in patients after LAGB and LRYGB. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2011 Mar-Apr;7(2):170-5. Epub 2010 Nov 19. PMID: 21237722.
- Burkett AM, “Perioperative Management of Anticoagulation in Gynecologic Patients” Pearls of Exxcellence, web publication Jan 2011 at http://www.exxcellence.org/pearls_of_exxcellence-201101.php#Perioperat.
- McColloh DH, Maseelall P, Colon JM, McGovern PG. Modeling Follicle Stimulating Hormone Levels in Serum for Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation I: Comparing Gonadotropin Products. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2011 June.
- Maseelall P. Ovarian Reserve Screening: An Update. Postgraduate Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011 Aug;31:1-6.
- Jennifer Doyle, Tiffany H. Kenny, Amy M. Burkett, and Vivian E. von Gruenigen. A Performance Improvement Process to Tackle Tachysystole. JOGNN, 40, 512-519; 2011. DOI: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2011.01275.x.
- Doyle J, Kenny T, Butz A, von Gruenigen VE, Burkett A. An Induction Scheduling and Consent Form to Improve Quality of Care, Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nurses, accepted for publication Oct 2011.
- Kenny TH, Nicodemo JM, Fenton BW, von Gruenigen VE. Does Quality “Bundling” improve Obstetrical Outcomes? A comparative study of elective inductions. Journal of Reproductive Medicine, accepted for publication Sept 2011.