In collaboration with the Austen Bioinnovation Institute of Akron (ABIA), the Office of Technology Management uses a comprehensive approach to translate innovative ideas into technologies that impact patient care and the overall health of our community. We assist inventors through every stage of the commercialization process with the goal of minimizing the time they spend on technology development. This allows the ability to focus on research and clinical activities. Our comprehensive approach includes:
- Education related to technology development processes and Summa Health System's intellectual property policy
- Business viability testing to assess product feasibility, market and intellectual property landscape
- Advanced prototyping capabilities by a team of Northeast Ohio's top biomedical and mechanical engineers
- Funds for technology development
- Access to clinical trials, translational research, animal facilities and expert staff for further development
- Technology licensing/commercialization capabilities
We work closely with outside intellectual property law firms to evaluate the patentability of invention disclosures and draft and file patent applications in the United States and, if appropriate, international patent application. Additionally, OTM works with Summa Health System's office of general counsel to ensure protection of materials that can be copywritten and secure trademarks to protect original work.