Summa Specialized Services
Our Specialized Services encompass groundbreaking medical research providing health care professionals the continuing medical education needed to deliver superior health care services to our patients. Consistently ranked one of the best healthcare providers in the country, Summa has been consistently ranked by "U.S. News & World Report".
- Center for Corporate Health. The Summa Center for Corporate Health offers a wide range of services designed to assure injured workers will return to work as quickly as possible beginning with the immediate treatment of your employee’s on-the-job injury through referrals for therapy or other rehabilitation needs. The Center is an Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) provider offering comprehensive occupational health services at four locations.
- Center for Health Equity. The Center for Health Equity at Summa ’s goal is to provide patients in the communities we serve with outstanding, quality care and identify, reduce and eventually eliminate health disparities to create health equity for all of our citizens. At the Center, patients have access to multiple programs designed to provide the tools needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
- Dentistry. Summa Health System offers a number of full-service dental health services in the Akron area.
- Dermatology. Summa Health System’s dermatology services provide high-quality, compassionate care for the skin and for diseases of the hair and nails. Our board-certified dermatologists are experts in diagnosing and treating a wide range of dermatological health issues for children, adolescents and adults.
- Diabetes. The Summa Center for Diabetes Care offers diabetes education programs to assist those patients who are at risk for or are learning to live with diabetes. We provide the tools people with diabetes need in order to learn how to control their blood sugar through diet, exercise and healthy living. Our diabetes education programs are approved and recognized for excellence by the American Diabetes Association and are held at various locations within the Summa Health System.
- Digestive Health (Gastroenterology). At Summa Health System, our gastrointestinal team is committed to providing the highest quality, personalized care during every step of the process – from initial consultation and diagnosis to long-term chronic disease management and recovery for a variety of gastrointestinal and digestive conditions, including fecal incontinence. If surgery is required, patients have access to the latest technology and surgical techniques, including minimally-invasive, robotic-assisted surgery.
- Emergency Care/Trauma/Urgent Care. The Trauma Center at Summa Akron City Hospital is verified as a Level I trauma center since 1998 and is also a Certified Chest Pain Center and Certified Stroke Center.
- Endocrinology. At Summa Health System, our dedicated team of physicians and clinical specialists are committed to providing the highest quality, personalized care for endocrine disorders. In some cases, surgery may be necessary. At Summa our patients have access to the latest surgical techniques, including minimally-invasive, robotic-assisted surgery which is often used for removal of the adrenal glands.
- Home Healthcare. Our Summa at Home program provides home healthcare for patients of all ages, whether they are recovering from illness, surgery or injury. The service can be invaluable for patients with chronic severe illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension, pneumonia, stroke, and heart failure, or those at an increased risk for falls or medication errors. Available seven days a week, 24 hours a day, our home healthcare professionals provide medical services throughout Northeast Ohio.
- Hospice/Palliative Care. Summa’s Palliative Care Services is comprised of an interdisciplinary team of dedicated medical professionals, including board-certified medical directors with more than 80 years’ experience combined and volunteers who work with patients and their families to create comprehensive, individualized care plans. Our services help to prevent and ease suffering, while enhancing comfort and quality of life.
- Weight Loss Management. Losing weight is not easy, and it takes commitment. That's why Summa offers a variety of weight loss management services to meet patients’ needs, including the Summa Wellness Institute, the Just This Program, and our Bariatric Care Center which is an accredited Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence®.