Bariatric Center Of Excellence
Summa’s Bariatric Care Center became accredited in 2007 as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
This national designation recognizes the following:
- Surgical programs which have successfully undergone a rigorous site survey by the Surgical Review Committee (SRC) to verify compliance with a set of nationally recognized standards and expectations
- Surgical programs which demonstrate a comprehensive commitment to a high level of care
- Surgical programs which participate in the largest repository of dedicated bariatric surgery patient data in the world
- Surgical outcomes that are deemed favorable by the SRC, an organization dedicated to excellence in surgical outcomes
In 2012, the ASMBS joined with the American College of Surgeons to form the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) standards.
These new standards include:
- Accurate reporting of bariatric surgery cases
- Focus on data-based quality improvement at each center
- Continued emphasis and development of the multidisciplinary team approach to care
- Ongoing accreditation based on safety monitoring with a focus on mortality and length of stay greater than 14 days
Our approach to weight loss management is focused on the individual needs of the patient. While cosmetic improvements are frequently a result of significant weight loss, the goal at the Bariatric Care Center is to help cure the patient's medical problems and improve their health and quality of life. We offer a three-pronged approach to weight loss management: surgical, medical and behavioral. Each patient is carefully assessed and provided with an individually tailored recommendation.
Since starting our surgical weight loss management program in 2004, we have performed more than 1,575 surgeries. While we continue to grow the number of patients we serve, our focus on patient satisfaction has never wavered. Patient experience scores for both inpatient and outpatient care have placed us in the 95th percentile nationally for the past 6 years.