The Importance of a Current Medication List
- Keep a current list of your medications with you at all times so that in case of an emergency serious medication effects can be avoided.
- When someone is admitted to the hospital or comes to the emergency room unexpectedly they frequently have difficulty remembering all of their medications during this ‘crisis.’
- Do NOT stop taking any medication without first consulting your prescriber.
- Stopping medications suddenly can cause serious side effects.
- To avoid these effects, keep the current list with you. It should contain:
- The date it was updated, the name of the medication, the dose, when you take it, why you take it and who prescribed it.
- Be sure to include any over-the counter and/or herbal medications.
- Have the phone numbers of your pharmacy and primary care provider on the list.
- Share the list with ALL of your healthcare providers.
- If you have a computer or smart phone, consider using one of the medication applications that help you keep a current medication list.
Options to Request an Appointment
If your situation is an emergency, call 911.