AKRON, Ohio, May 31, 2012 – Is my back or joint pain normal? What does it mean when my older parent forgets simple tasks like paying bills? These health questions and more can be answered from the comfort of your home or office as part of a returning online chat series from Summa Health System.
Beginning in June, people can talk with Summa physicians about health topics such as back and joint pain and memory loss in the form of an online chat room. This user-friendly program allows anyone with Internet access to participate, as no additional software is required.
“As we see more people going online to find health information, I’m excited to be a part of an initiative that helps physicians connect with and educate the community in a way that’s convenient and comfortable for them,” said John Devine, M.D., a urogynecologist at Summa who will be participating in an online chat titled, “Prolapse and Incontinence: Don’t be embarrassed. Let’s Talk.” on July 12.
Participants will have the opportunity to create an online account, log in, submit their questions prior to or during the chats and receive answers in a chat room format. The user’s personal information will not be disclosed. For those who missed the chats, transcripts will be available on www.summahealth.org/askadr.
The upcoming chats include:
- June 20, noon: “Caregiver Support: You Have Options.” with geriatrician Nancy Istenes, M.D.
- June 21, noon: “Treatment Options for Back Pain” with Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center spine surgeon Scot Miller, D.O.
- July 12, noon: “Prolapse and Incontinence: Don’t be embarrassed. Let’s Talk.” with urogynecologist John Devine, M.D.
- July 13, noon: “Robotic Surgery: Not Science Fiction” with general surgeon Adrian Dan, M.D.
- July 19, noon: “Clinical Trials: How to Make Informed Choices.” with oncologist Sameer Mahesh, M.D.
- July 25, noon: “Girl Talk: Gynecologic Cancer Treatment Options” with gynecologic oncologistVivian von Gruenigen, M.D.
- Aug. 7, noon: “A Joint Effort: Causes and Cures for Joint Pain” with Crystal Clinic Orthopaedic Center total joint replacement surgeon Robert Kepley, M.D.
- Aug. 22, noon: “Memory Loss: What is Not Normal? What Should I Do?” with geriatrician Maryjo Cleveland, M.D.
Information shared during these online sessions is not to be considered primary medical advice, but can help to educate individuals on important topics like prevention and early detection. To participate in a Summa Health System online chat, visit
www.summahealth.org/askadr to register. Users will be allowed to join up until the online chat starts.
Please continue to check the website above for future online chats.
About Summa Health System
Summa Health System is one of the largest integrated healthcare delivery systems in Ohio. Encompassing a network of hospitals, community health centers, a health plan, a physician-hospital organization, a multi-specialty physician organization, research and multiple foundations, Summa is nationally renowned for excellence in patient care and for exceptional approaches to healthcare delivery. Summa's clinical services are consistently recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (Magnet® status), U.S. News and World Report, Thomson Reuters and The Leapfrog Group. Summa also is a founding partner of the Austen BioInnovation Institute in Akron. For more information, visit www.summahealth.org or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/summahealth and Twitter at www.twitter.com/summahealth.