Our Story – Summa Health System – Akron Campus Background & History
Summa Health System – Akron Campus was founded in 1892 to provide a place where patients could be treated with compassion, coupled with the best principles of medical practice. From the first accredited radiology department in the country to the first adult open heart surgery in Akron (and one of the first in the country), Summa Health System – Akron Campus has achieved national recognition as a provider of quality, compassionate healthcare.
An academic medical center with 14 multispecialty residency program and four fellowship programs, Summa Health System – Akron Campus graduates approximately 80 residents and fellows from its medical education programs each year.
A Level 1 Trauma Center, Summa Health System – Akron Campus expanded its emergency department (ED) in 2012. The renovated ED provides more than 100,000 sq. ft. and 76 patient beds and is equipped to serve more than 80,000 patients annually. The ED also offers specialized emergency services for geriatric patients to best treat the area's growing senior population.
Specialties and Recognition
Summa Health System – Akron Campus is well-known for the advancements in healthcare particularly in geriatric medicine, hospice and palliative care, women's health, bariatrics, oncology, orthopedics and cardiology.
We are a Level 1 Trauma Center, a Certified Chest Pain Center and a Certified Stroke Center. In addition, Summa Health System – Akron Campus and Summa Health System – St. Thomas Campus were awarded nursing's highest honor - Magnet® recognition - by the American Nurses Credentialing center. Only six percent of hospitals in the United States are recognized as Magnet® hospitals.
Summa Health System – Akron Campus employs more than 5,000 individuals and its patients are served by more than 1,200 members of the medical staff. This hospital and other entities of Summa Health System, provide healthcare services to more than 1 million patients each year.
We’re the largest Hospital in the region, located in the heart of Akron Ohio.