Become familiar with the diagnosis and treatment of patients with Infectious Diseases and the appropriate use of antibiotics.
The rotation is designed to be flexible according to the interests of the student. Each student may spend the entire four-week period on the infectious disease consult service or may spend one to two weeks in the Care Center and the remaining weeks on the consult service. Student time will include:
- Patient work-ups with consideration of differential diagnosis and treatment. Literature review and reports. Time spent in the microbiology, virology and infectious disease laboratories.
- Lecture three to four times a week.
- Weekly city-wide conference.
- Weekly interdisciplinary rounds.
- Excluding time spent directly in the Care Center, it is anticipated that each student will receive at least four hours devoted to education on HIV/AIDS, other blood-borne diseases and infection control.
Night Call/Special Requirements:
- Michael Tan, M.D., Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, NEOMED
- Thomas File, M.D., Professor of Internal Medicine, NEOMED
- Joseph Myers, M.D., Professor of Internal Medicine, NEOMED
- Stephen Francis, M.D., Assistant Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine, NEOMED