Better Breathing Program™
While Pulmonary rehabilitation programs are most commonly provided in hospital settings, the Better Breathing Program™ offers an opportunity for eligible participants* to transition to the Kohl Family YMCA for continued exercise out in the community.
Eligible participants include:
- Summa Health patients completing Phase 2 of the Pulmonary Rehab program.
- Summa Health Medical Group outpatient referrals who do not qualify for Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab or cannot afford it.
- Community members who do not meet Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab qualifications or cannot afford it.
How the Better Breathing Program Works
Through the Better Breathing Program, participants meet with a trained Summa Health athletic trainer at the Kohl Family YMCA. The athletic trainer will be accessible for any pulmonary-related questions or concerns throughout the participant’s involvement in the program.
Monthly pulmonary care exercise, education, and socialization sessions also will be provided for both participants and interested members of the community. Facilitators include Summa Health Pulmonary Rehab staff, Kohl Family YMCA instructors and area experts.
Potential educational topics include:
- Smoking Cessation
- Medications and Inhaler Usage
- Innovative Medical Equipment
- Living a Healthy Lifestyle
- Recognizing COPD Exacerbation Symptoms
- At-Home Chair Exercises
- Effective Breathing Techniques
- How to Manage Stress
Educational sessions are held:
Second Wednesday of Every Month
10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Kohl Family YMCA, FirstEnergy Room
For more information about the Better Breathing Program, call 330.375.7121.