The Summa Health Clinical Research Center (CRC) operates on the principle that high quality, innovative clinical research improves patient care and community health. The CRC is committed to promoting and supporting industry-sponsored and investigator-initiated research excellence. It facilitates the implementation and conduct of clinical trials. This is accomplished through a wide range of centralized clinical and administrative support services leading to the efficient conduct of research and successfully meeting enrollment goals.
Did you know?
- Clinical trials began at Summa Health in the 1980s. Today we have more than 100 open clinical trials and manage more than 600 clinical trial participants.
- The CRC is staffed by over 20 Research RNs, Research Coordinators, IRB/Regulatory Specialists, Research Lab Specialists and Billing Specialists.
- Our trials cover all specialties including; oncology, cardiology, infectious disease, psychology, neurology, emergency/trauma, orthopedics and infectious disease.
- Summa has over 40 investigators overseeing a wide variety of drug and device trials.
About the Center
The CRC is located at Summa Health System – Akron Campus in Building #3 (75 Arch Street) Suite 105. The 3,800 square foot outpatient unit includes two fully equipped exam rooms for conducting clinical assessments, office space for administrative and clinical staff and a central laboratory. Medical equipment available for use includes a scale, pulse oximeter, vital sign monitoring and emergency medical supplies. Additionally, laptops are available for use in documenting and there is a locked binder storage area. The central research laboratory is on site and staffed full-time to provide specimen collection, processing and shipping to central laboratories as needed. Included in the central laboratory are a centrifuge, refrigerator/freezer, a -40 °C freezer and a -70 °C freezer.
The CRC provides the following services:
- Marketing of services to potential study sponsors and referrals to our physician investigators.
- Clinical trial placement with physician investigators
- Marketing of trial opportunities to potential subjects
- Trained medical personnel with clinical trial experience staffing the CRC.
- Additional staffing and supplies are available to meet the needs of individual studies
Coordinator Study Support
- Patient screening, enrollment, randomization
- Coordination of all study procedures (i.e. study visits, study drug administration, study-related interventions per study protocol)
- Dedicated space for sponsor monitoring visits and audits
- Completion of case report forms, query resolution
- Data collection and medical record abstraction per protocol requirements
- Phlebotomy services
- Processing of samples
- Short- and long-term freezer storage
- Shipping of samples to central laboratories
For additional information regarding the CRC, or to arrange a tour, call 330-375-4045 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.